In the old days, you might have pictured AI, or artificial intelligence, as a robot. Now, when I say “the old days”, I’m not talking about 50 years ago. I’m referring to within the last 10-20 years. AI and automation have made huge strides in the last few decades, becoming an integral part of our everyday lives.
What is AI? (In plain English, please!)
Simply stated, artificial intelligence is man-made intelligence. That is, intelligence in machines, or anything that is not human. It involves building and programming “smart” machines that are capable of executing tasks you might typically picture as only possible with human intelligence.
Artificial intelligence in action
Yes, AI does include robots. But, it also includes things like smart assistants (think “Siri” or “Alexa”), conversational bots used in customer service, and email spam filters. Additionally, self-driving cars and Google Search are two uses of AI you’re likely familiar with. (Have you ever wondered how Google knows what you’re looking for before you even finish typing?)
There are few days that go by when you don’t see artificial intelligence in action in some part of your life.
Utilizing AI in the business world
So, how can artificial intelligence be used in business? There are many applications, and the list gets longer every day. But, here are a few ideas to start with:
- Manufacturing robots – While this might seem incredibly high-tech and impersonable, robots using artificial intelligence can be very useful in some environments. For example, robots can be used to handle materials that might be necessary in production but not safe for human health.
- Customer service bots – Have you ever had a question that you couldn’t ask during regular business hours? Or, maybe it IS during regular business hours but you can’t wait on hold forever for a representative. Automated customer service bots using artificial intelligence can easily answer many questions, save time, and free up human resources for other, more complex, tasks.
- Email spam filters – Imagine having to pour through hundreds of emails just to find out what’s junk and what isn’t. Spam filters use AI to help with this process. No, they’re not always perfect. But, they can be a valuable tool when trying to improve efficiency or reduce online security
- Fraud detection – Fraud is a big money waster, both for business and individuals. Using artificial intelligence, companies can often detect potential fraud at the onset, stopping it in its tracks and minimizing collateral damage.
- Increased sales – In the old days, if you wanted to know what people were looking for and how best to serve them, you might have to sift through piles of paperwork. Now, AI can come to the rescue, predicting customer preferences with astonishing accuracy. Use this information proactively to provide what your customers are looking for and you can drastically improve your bottom line.
How can I implement artificial intelligence in my business?
The first step is knowing what options are available for your particular business type. What works well, and what makes sense? This is where an IT managed service provider can be helpful. At L33t Tech, we not only provide IT support for your existing technology, we also know what’s out there that could help improve your processes and ultimately, your profitability.
Give us a call today to see how our IT services, like automation and AI, can benefit your business and propel you to the next level of success.